Floriculture production practices is increasing day by day in the world. Bangladesh is one of the greenest and a promising countries of the world. But unfortunately many of its natural resources have never been seriously exploited neither to meet up the aesthetic demand of the people of the country nor about its potentiality for export and earning foreign currency. I am sharing today about Floriculture Production Practices in Bangladesh, retail price of flowers, Marketing status of flower and Export situation in this “Floriculture Production Practices in Bangladesh” article.
Table of Contents
- 1 Floriculture production practices in Bangladesh
- 2 Marketing status of flower in Bangladesh:
- 3 Export situation:
Floriculture production practices in Bangladesh
– The history of floriculture in Bangladesh may be old but flower business is not older than a decade.
– Flower cultivation was started commercially from the 80’s in Jhikargachha upazilla of Jessore district.
– Afterward it was extended to Jessore Sadar, Sharsha and Chowgachha upazilla as well as Kushtia, Chuadanga and Satkhira districts.
– The increase in area under floriculture and enthusiasm of the growers revealed the potentiality of the industry.
– The employment generation for both men and women are increasing with the increase in area at about 15.79% per year under floriculture industry.
– Considering the higher capital mobilization and profit margin from floriculture compared to other field crops, the high lands of Dhaka, Chittgong, Jessore, Cox’s Bazar, Chuadanga, Jhenidah, Kushtia, Bogra, Rangpur, Mymensingh has the potentiality to expand the industry
– The market growth and market size of floriculture over all Bangladesh revealed the potentiality of its further extension.
– With this background floriculture in Bangladesh is rising.
– The name of flowers and their main production centers shown here –
Name of flower and main production center in Bangladesh
- Tuberose : Jessore (Sharasha, Chaugacha, Jhikargacha), savar ,Satkhira, Bogra, Comilla, Chittagong.
- Rose: Gazipur ( Kapasia, Salna, Kaliakair, ) Savar, Jessore, Dhaka, Satkhira, Dinajpur.
- Gladiolus: Dhaka, Jessore, Gazipur, (Sreepur, Kaliakair).
- Chrysanthemum, Hedychium, Aster, Carnation, Chinese : Savar, (Dhamrai, Nabinagar, Sadullahpur) Gazipur ( Kapasia) Bogra, Narayanganj.
- Dahlia, Calendula: Dhaka, Savar, Gazipur, Bogra.
- Marigold, Jasmines: Narayanganj, Jessore, Savar.
- Lily, Diamond, Grass flower: Narshingdi, Savar.
- Orchid: Dhaka, Gazipur, Savar, Mymensingh.
– In Bangladesh fresh cut flower business is a very new concept.
– In late 80’s only a few shops were opened in Dhaka city for selling fresh cut flower.
– Now fresh cut flowers are sold in most of the city and district even upazilla towns of Bangladesh.
– Flowers are daily auctioned in the morning at Shahbag Avenue in Dhaka.
– Dhaka is the main center of flower business in Bangladesh.
– A large number of flower shops have been developed in and around Dhaka city which can give a picture of present flower market situation.
– In Dhaka, flower shops are two types, i) Permanent, and ii) Temporary.
– It is estimated that there are more than 100 permanent and 450 temporary shops in Dhaka metropolitan city.
– Individual business of each shop ranges between Tk. 3000 – 6000 even more.
– This indicates that aesthetic sense of people is increasing as the standard of living is increasing.
– Rose, Gladiolus, Tuberose, Dahlia, Marigold, Gerbera, Beli, Dolanchampa are the examples of some important cut flowers have high demand in the inland markets.
– This is also important for international market.
– The retail price of cut flower, garland of loose flower, floral arrangement and bouquets in Dhaka markets are shown here
Marketing status of flower in Bangladesh:
Retail price of some flowers:
The Floral arrangement and bouquets in Dhaka and near Dhaka market-
- Name of flower Price in Tk.
- Rose 5 – 10 /Stick
- Gerbera 20 – 25/Stick
- Tuberose (Single) 3 – 5 /Stick
- Tuberose(Double) 5 – 10/Stick
- Marigold 2 – 3/pc
- Gladiolus ( Red) 8 – 10/Stick
- Gladiolus (Other than red) 10 – 12/Stick
- Jasmines (Off season) 5 – 10/Garland
- Jasmines (Sea son) 2 – 5/Garland
- Bouquet 200 – 500/pc
- Floral wreath 150 – 250/pc
– There is a high demand of fresh flower and pot plants in Europe, America, Japan and Middle East.
– The important flowers and ornamental plants which have high demand in the world market can easily be grown in Bangladesh at a low cost.
The Export situation of flower in Bangladesh are as following-
Export potentialities of some flowers from Bangladesh
- Tuberose Cut flower
- Gladiolus Cut flower
- Orchid Cut flower
- Chrysanthemum Cut flower
- Gerbera Cut flower
- Lily Cut flower
- – During the fiscal year 2003 – 2004 and 2004 – 2005 flowers worth of $765 and $7339 respectively were exported to different countries.
- – Elaborate scenario of export of cut flower to different countries is given below.
Export of cut flower ( US$ )
- Countries 2004 – 2005 2005 – 2006 2006 – 2007
- Belgium 11 35 38
- Canada 13 24 65
- Germany 28 61 55
- India 46 – 2987
- Italy 105 1278 2193
- Pakistan 1576 1518 1568
- Saudi Arabia 3341 11694 17295
- UAE 26 65 13
- UK 1816 6264 842
– Very recently Bangladesh Govt. has included flowers in the export policy. This will surely open a new avenue for the flower growers of Bangladesh to develop export oriented floral industry.